The Liebster Awards are making their way back around again! Growing Up in Azeroth has been nominated by Waiting for Rez! Yotaan and Fussypants blog their answers below!
1) How did you get started blogging?
Yotaan: My daughter really enjoyed playing WoW and really enjoyed writing. It was a natural to put those two together and start a WoW blog. I joined her to supervise (of course, have to be a father, and all) and we thought it was a blogging perspective not yet covered, that of a father/daughter’s take on WoW.
Fussypants: The idea was all Yotaan’s; a way to connect my love of writing with my love of WoW. I will admit though, I sort of took the idea and ran with it!
2) What ability or skillset do you most admire in others but personally lack?
Yotaan: I always strive to communicate better. It can affect all aspects of one’s life. Additionally, better communication means better understanding, and one cannot stop trying to improving understanding, no matter what the subject is.
Fussypants: The ability to tank. Seriously. I just can’t do it. I’m alright leveling as a tank, but once I hit max level I just can’t do it. I feel my veins fill with adrenaline and a develop a headache every time!
3) You’re a long forgotten celebrity from the 80s looking to make a comeback. Which reality show do you make an appearance on and why?
Yotaan: This question completely confuses me. I suppose I need to watch more reality shows?
Fussypants: The 80s? Didn’t the dinosaurs live back then?
4) What’s the origin of your blogging name?
Yotaan: I’ve watched my daughter literally grow up playing WoW. But “Growing up on WoW” was taken, and Azeroth turned out be a good googleable name.
Fussypants: The blog is a father daughter perspective, and one of the biggest parts about the game is the fact that I grew up in it (under Yotaan’s watchful guidance). So we wanted the name to reflect that, but as Yotaan said Growing up in WoW was taken, so we went with Growing Up in Azeroth.
5) Which blogger would you like to meet in real life and why?
Yotaan: I enjoy my favorite blogger’s company every day (before and after school, that is.)
Fussypants: There’s this awesome cool blogger I read, name’s Yotaan. Man, I’ve always wanted to meet him in real life since the first time I read one of his articles! (:P) In all seriousness though, I think I’d like to meet any other blogger in real life. It’s one thing to read a person’s writing, but quite another to speak to them face to face.
6) What is the most important thing you’ve learned from blogging?
Yotaan: Consistency is key. You have to put something out there on a regular schedule. Fussypants and I have struggled with this from time to time.
Fussypants: I will second what Yotaan said, but also add my own. Not every article has to be this deep 1000 word analysis of some integral aspect of the game. I struggle with writing shorter pieces because I always feel like I need to be conveying some important opinion. Transmog articles can just be about transmog!
7) What work of fiction would you like to see made into an MMO virtual world that hasn’t been done already?
Yotaan:I wold love to see the Wheel of Time series made into an MMO. There is a lot of depth to the series and I think it would work well. But it would be have to be done right, by developers that love the series.
Fussypants: Hmm, that’s a toughie. I think I’d have to say Narnia, purely because there’s a lot of wiggle room for character and story development. Narnia is a pretty big and well imagined world, so it would make sense for it to be turned into an MMO. But it would have to be done very carefully to avoid being childish or dissimilar to the original.
8) What role of the holy trinity of tank/dps/healer fits your personality most?
Yotaan: Since I am a father, I suppose the tank fits best. I take all the abuse (sorry Fussypants!)
Fussypants: Definitely healer! I think of healers as those who enjoy helping others but also the leaders who are not afraid to do what what is necessary.
9) If you could have one superpower, what would it be and why?
Yotaan: My most vivid dreams as a kid was being able to fly, if you just concentrate in the right way. Totally would love to be able to have that power and it would save time and gas on my work commute.
Fussypants: Forget flying, I just want to be able to instantly teleport anywhere in the world. I would go to amazing natural locations and get food from different continents every day. Also, I could wake up for school way later since I could instantly teleport there. That would be really nice!
10) If you could cut and paste your favorite games into one mega-ultra-super MMO, what would it look like?
Yotaan: I can’t answer this one, I play very few games, just WoW and Hearthstone.
Fussypants: It would be the lore of the Warcraft RTSs turned into a ‘Everquest’ styled MMO called…. oh wait.
11) If you were to start up a video game company, what would you name it?
Yotaan: My video game company would be called “Cartridge Gaming.”
Fussypants: Enigma Gaming, and we would make awesome RPGs.
The second part of the Liebster Award is to provide 11 facts about yourself, but since Yotaan and Fussypants have already done so, we decided to give you 11 facts about the blog itself.
Growing up in Azeroth is over a year old
Readership of the blog is from around the world
Oreos are very tasty
Wordpress keeps changing the rules…
In non favorable ways for blogging
Never have we gotten a hunter to max level
Gnomes are the best…
Unless you ask Yotaan
Paladins are great…
In both of our minds
Nobody was excited about patch 6.1
Now for the last part, our nominations! We nominate
Our questions for you!
1) In your opinion (not based on views), which article that you’ve written is your best?
2) You wake up in Azeroth as your main character. What do you do?
3) What motivates you to write?
4) You can have one spell in real life that isn’t a mage spell. Which one do you pick?
5) Best noob mistake?
6) If you could kill off one WoW character to bring back another WoW character, who would you kill and who would you bring back?
7) What was your first video game?
8) If a patch is released and no one is there to play it, do the forums QQ?
9) If you didn’t play video games, you’d be…
10) On a scale of 1-10, how much have you enjoyed WoD (1 being not at all and 10 being its the best thing since sliced bread)?
11) What’s the best thing about blogging?